Guidelines for Establishing a Meditation Practice
by Marilyn Buehler, M.Div.
1. Commit to your meditation practice. The benefits are felt when meditation is done every day.
2. Establish a regular time and sit comfortably to meditate. Sit upright, with the neck and spine aligned.
3. Use the same location for meditation every day.
4. Minimize disturbances. Remain still.
5. The stomach should be light.
6. Start with 5 minutes of meditation once a day. You can slowly increase to 10 minutes twice a day.
7. Choose your focus. When you observe your mind wandering, gently bring your awareness to the focus of your meditation.
8. When thoughts come to mind, let them come and go. Don’t be concerned with the content of the thoughts. Gently bring your awareness back to the focus of your meditation.
9. If you are too tired to meditate, give yourself the rest you need. When you feel rested, finish with a few minutes of meditation.
10. Come out of meditation slowly. Take time to slowly bring your awareness back from meditation. Stretch, take a few deep breaths, and open your eyes slowly.
11. After meditation enjoy the sense of inner peace and balance. The benefits of meditation are felt in daily life.
Suggested Focus for Meditation
i) The breath. Gently bring your attention to your breath. Observe the inward and outward movement of the breath. The inhale will be cool, and the exhale will be warm.
ii) A word or phrase. Choose a word or phrase. Synchronize the word or phrase silently with the inhale and exhale.